Your retainer is designed for durability and long-term wear, but it is Important to take proper care of your retainer to ensure lasting quality. When you visit East Gate Orthodontics, our orthodontist and team will provide you with the information you need to keep your retainer clean and safe. As a guideline, we recommend that you:
- Wear your retainer at all times unless instructed otherwise by our orthodontist
- Remove your retainer while eating and store it in its case so that it is not lost. In fact, your retainer should always be kept in its case when not in use.
- Clean your retainer thoroughly each day with a toothbrush, toothpaste, and warm (not hot) water. You can also use orthodontic appliance cleaners such as Efferdent®.
- Practice speaking, singing, and reading to help your mouth adjust to wearing a retainer
- Treat your retainer with care and call our office immediately if it becomes lost or broken
- Do not try to adjust your retainer yourself. Schedule an appointment with our office if you suspect it needs adjusting.
- Bring your retainer to each orthodontic appointment
- Remove your retainer when swimming
- Avoid letting your retainer come in contact with hot water, hot car dashboards, washing machines, pockets, or napkins
Replacing retainers can be costly, but your retainer can last for years with proper care. If you have questions about receiving or caring for a retainer in Chantilly, Virginia, call 703-423-0557 and speak with our team or arrange an appointment with Dr. Anisa Omar.